Planetary Hydrogen is on a mission to remove a billion tonnes of carbon dioxide per year from the atmosphere by 2035 while producing hydrogen fuel for the future. We are a fiercely innovative team working towards developing and commercializing a highly-scalable process that generates carbon-negative hydrogen. Our team has experience in process engineering, power engineering, geochemical processes, and electrochemical research science. Metallurgy will also play a fundamental role in our pilot plant and future large-scale deployments, and we are looking for a key team member who brings hands-on experience in metallurgy to fill out that critical skill set. This is a position for someone who has a passion for metallurgy, excels in metallurgical test work and analysis, and wishes to work directly under the auspices of our senior metallurgist and engineering group to rapidly gain experience in all areas of the field.
As a member of our team, you will apply your experience in metallurgy to:
- Develop metallurgical test and safety procedures involving physical and/or chemical metallurgical separation processes
- Perform hands-on metallurgical test work, collect metallurgical data, evaluate results, and develop processes involving a wide range of mineral deposits and mineral sources, including various brines
- Complete detailed reports based on testing performed and communicate key information internally and with clients
- Work closely with senior metallurgist to drive process development from concept through design phases including detailed engineering and commissioning for pilot plant projects and future high-scale deployments.
- Collaborate with and provide technical guidance to both our engineering and electrochemical teams
- Direct metallurgical operations, define priorities, and develop the practice within our company
- Bachelor or Master’s degree, or equivalent in Chemical Engineering, Mineral Processing, General Metallurgy, Materials Engineering or in a related science discipline.
- 3 – 8 years of previous working experience in a minerals-related field or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Willing to work in or relocate to our lab in Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Preference will be given to candidates who have expertise in metallurgy but are also deeply interested in mineral processing and electrochemistry, and possess a curious, creative personality with a voracious appetite to learn.
- Previous experience in mineral processing, general metallurgy, including flowsheet and detailed process development, bench-scale test work, pilot plant programs and scale-up criteria
- Strong project and people management skills.
- Strong leadership skills and experience in the supervising of small technical teams, ideally including the supervising of people in a minerals-related laboratory.
- Demonstrates above average verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to compose clear and concise technical reports.
- Understands or has experience working with key metallurgical unit operations and equipment, comfortable with hands-on work and troubleshooting.
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects while working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Works well independently and with other team members.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.